“Sue is a skilled and trusted editor, who is able to transform books and goes above and beyond. I’m always thrilled with the results and so are my authors.”
Sara Cywinski, Editorial Director, Ebury Press
Under my maiden name, Lascelles, I gained many years’ in-house editorial experience with leading UK publishing houses including Orion, Little, Brown and Penguin Random House. Today, I am in demand as a freelance editorial consultant. I specialise in guiding new writers towards successful publication and supporting established authors through the editorial process, and I particularly enjoy working on commercial nonfiction and literary fiction.
Highly acclaimed titles commissioned or edited by me include:
- A Sky Full of Birds by Matt Merritt – ‘Prose from a poet’ Chris Packham
- Philosophy for Life by Jules Evans – ‘An important book’ Matthew Syed, The Times books of the year
- In Our Own Image by George Zarkadakis – ‘Timely and important’ Jim Al-Khalili
- How to Read a Church by Richard Taylor – ‘[a] gem of a book’ Spectator
- The Crossing by Samar Yazbek –‘may be … one of the first political classics of the 21st century’ Observer
My services include manuscript-assessment reports, book doctoring, rewrites, structural editing, copywriting and copyediting – from proposal to completed manuscript. Please don’t send me unsolicited material, but do contact me for more information and to find out how I can help.
“Sue is one of the best editors in the business: smart, imaginative, good-humoured, and sympathetic with the processes of writing while in tune with the practical matters of publishing. I frequently find myself recommending her services to writers of both fiction and nonfiction.”
Andrew Wille, book doctor and writing teacher